May 16, 2022
AOT 3090 - Medical Ethics and Office Management
Clock Hours: 88
Prerequisites: Completion of General Office and Administrative Support
Industry Certifications To prepare students for the Medical Administrative Assistant Certification tests through National Healthcareer Association (nhanow.com) and the Medical Administrative Assistant Certificate test through American Medical Certification Association- http://www.americanmedicalcertification.com/Library/certification_exams.aspx.
This course is designed to prepare the student for administrative duties in the medical office. Students will develop skills in administrative office procedures as well as providing exercises in judgment, independent action, providing quality customer service, and coping with interruptions. Additionally, students will learn the concepts of medical ethics in working in the medical administrative office. Students will learn the principles, procedures, and regulations involving legal and ethical relationships among physicians, patients, and medical assistants as well as current ethical issues and risk management as they relate to the practice of medicine and fiduciary responsibilities.
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Discuss the principles of medical ethics as they apply to employment in a medical office.
- Discuss the foundations of ethical conduct.
- Gain an understanding of HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) and the impact on both individuals and health care providers and any exceptions.
- Describe the importance of administrative support in today’s medical office.
- Demonstrate proper behavior when interacting with patients.
- Emphasize the need for an efficient scheduling system.
- List principles of office management necessary in a medical setting.
- Compose well-organized medical correspondence/documents.
- Create and maintain patients’ records.
- Maintain financial records in a medical office.
- Discuss employee’s role in processing insurance claims.
- Locate documentation in the patient record to support coding procedure.