Academic Program Inventory (API) Titles:
A.A.S. in Accounting
Accounting Concentration within an A.A.S. in Business
Technical Certificate (C1)
CIP codes: SOC codes:
API CIP code: 32.52.0302.00 SOC 1: 43-3030 SOC 4: 43-3051
Actual CIP code: 52.0302 SOC 2: 43-3031 SOC 5: 43-3050
Concentration CIP code: 52.0302 SOC 3: 13-2082 SOC 6: 43-5081
Professional Accrediting Body: Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP) at some schools
State Agency/Entity Oversight: None
Applicable Certification/License or Industry-recognized Certificates to be awarded: None
Articulation with Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology (TCAT)
Program Description, including Program Outcomes:
The Associate of Applied Science in Accounting is designed to prepare students for employment in public, private, and governmental accounting as a paraprofessional. The program covers financial, managerial, and tax accounting using manual and computerized accounting systems.
A.A.S. in Accounting Program Outcomes:
Student will be able to:
- Explain the role of accounting in business and how accounting information systems are used to gather, summarize, report, and analyze financial data.
- Perform the steps in the accounting cycle, complying with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Demonstrate knowledge of local, state, and federal tax laws and competence in tax planning and compliance.
- Identify ethical issues and apply a value-based reasoning system to accounting issues.
- Demonstrate an understanding of cost accounting systems and the budgeting process.