Proposed Academic Program Inventory Title: Medical Laboratory Technology
A.A.S. Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology
CIP Code: 31.51.9999.01
SOC Codes: 29-2012
The Medical Laboratory Technology Program provides quality didactic and clinical education and instruction in clinical laboratory sciences. The program prepares its graduates to function as competent entry-level professionals in laboratory testing. Medical Laboratory Technicians perform analytical tests on human body fluids and tissues, providing data essential for diagnosis, treatment, and management of disease or for the maintenance of wellness.
Program Outcomes: Upon completion of the program graduates will:
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills for inquiry and analysis, assimilation of facts and knowledge, and problem solving.
- Demonstrate the ability to comprehend, apply, analyze, and evaluate clinical information relevant to their role as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
- Demonstrate entry-level technical competency in all skills necessary to fulfill their role as a Medical Laboratory Technician.
- Demonstrate proficiency in written and oral communication and mathematical reasoning.
- Demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations of an entry-level Medical Laboratory Technician.
- Demonstrate the necessary knowledge to pass national certification examinations and meet the criteria for licensure established by the Tennessee Medical Laboratory Board.
- Render professional and personal service to patients, physicians, other laboratory professionals, and the community.
Technical Certificates: N/A
Each certificate should be identified with a title, program description, and outcomes (see above).
Please assign CIP codes that are appropriate for degree and/or certificates. In addition, identify a specific CIP Code for all concentrations.
Professional Accrediting Body: National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
State Agency/Entity Oversight: State of Tennessee Department of Health Medical Laboratory Board
Applicable Certification/License or Industry-recognized Certificates to Be Awarded:
(Specify whether the credential is awarded as a component of the degree/certificate or if it is optional, meaning that the student is prepared and eligible to take the test for the credential. Also, each course summary form should identify whether the course contributes to the opportunity to earn a specific credential.)
Certification*: The MLT curriculum prepares students for eligibility for each of the following industry certification examinations-MLT(AAB), MLT(AMT), and MLT(ASCP). Passage of one of these examinations is required in order to obtain a State of Tennessee MLT license.
*American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB); American Medical Technologists (AMT); American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
Licensure: Graduates of the MLT Program are eligible to obtain an MLT license from the State of Tennessee Department of Health Medical Laboratory Board, which is required for employment in Tennessee as an MLT.
Articulation with Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology (TCAT): (Which courses are projected to align with TCAT programs?) N/A