Proposed Academic Program Inventory Title: A.A.S. Degree in Health Sciences
Proposed Academic Program Inventory Title including concentrations: N/A
CIP Code: 31.51.9999.01
This is an Associate of Applied Science degree program in Health Sciences that will provide a pathway for students who are currently enrolled in or have completed a Certificate level program in a Health Sciences discipline from any accredited community or technical college or are currently credentialed as allied health/nursing practitioners who wish to continue their formal education and earn an Associate of Applied Science degree.
Allied Health Sciences discipline-specific core credits may be earned by current enrollment in appropriate allied health sciences courses, transferring credits earned in a health science-related program or an allied health sciences certificate program from a community college, or portfolio assessment of college-level learning related to an allied health discipline. In addition to the 15 credit hours of General Education core courses currently required for an A.A.S degree, students will complete 3 required ALHS courses–ALHS 2311-Management and Leadership for Allied Health Supervisors, ALHS 2312-Contemporary Issues in Healthcare, and ALHS 2314-Medical Law and Ethics, and 2 ALHS elective courses from those listed in the institution’s catalog.
- Acceptance into or completion of a Certificate program in an Allied Health Science discipline from a community college. OR
- Graduate from a Tennessee College of Applied Technology (TCAT) with a Diploma in a health-related discipline. OR
- Possess a health science credential and related work experience.
- Provide a degree program that is specific to students who are enrolled in or have completed an allied health sciences Certificate program or Vocational Nursing program at a community/technical college
- Provide a flexible opportunity for licensed allied health practitioners without discipline-specific postsecondary education to earn college credit for work experiences or non-traditional educational programs in a health science discipline that can be applied toward a relevant associate degree.
- Provide a relevant degree program for allied healthcare practitioners that include college-level coursework in management and leadership applicable to a healthcare setting.
Professional Accrediting Body: As applies to health science Certificate program
State Agency/Entity Oversight: N/A
Applicable Certification/License or Industry-recognized Certificates to Be Awarded: N/A
Articulation with Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology (TCAT): N/A
Pathway Descriptions within the A.A.S. in Health Sciences Degree:
Description: The pathways are health science Certificate programs offered at any TN community college or transferred from a community/technical college from another state. These health science Certificate programs include but are not limited to:
- Animal Care
- Dental Assisting
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography
- Electronic Health Records
- Healthcare Documentation Specialist
- Laboratory (Phlebotomy)
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Assisting
- Medical Coding
- Medical Insurance
- Pharmacy Technology
- Substance Abuse
- Surgical Technology