Approved Academic Program Inventory Titles:
- Technical Certificate in Dental Assisting
- A.A.S. in Health Sciences with concentration in: Dental Assisting
- A.A.S. in Dental Assisting (preferred)
CIP Code: Dental Assistant: 31.51.0601.00
Program Description: The dental assisting program is composed of didactic and clinical instruction and is designed and organized to promote the personal and professional growth of each student. The main objectives of the program are to prepare the student to function in the dental setting and to academically qualify for the Dental Assistant National Board certification examination and the Tennessee Board of Dentistry application process. The program in Dental Assisting is accredited by the Council on Post-secondary Accreditation and the United States Department of Education.
- Students will apply and demonstrate the basic knowledge of dental assisting in the dental setting and the career options.
- Students will demonstrate the basic skills to be a competent dental assistant
- Students will define the terminology unique to dental assisting
- Students will illustrate comprehension of professional ethical standards for dental assisting
- Students will apply and demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills within the parameters of dental assisting
Concentration CIP Code: 31.51.0601.00
Professional Accrediting Body: American Dental Association- Commission on Dental Accreditation
State Agency/Entity Oversight: N/A
Applicable Certification/License or Industry-recognized Certificates to Be Awarded: The Tennessee Registered Dental Assistant license is required by the Tennessee Board of Dentistry.
Articulation with Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology (TCAT): NONE AT THIS TIME
Concentration(s) within the A.A.S. in _____Dental Assisting_____
The concentration requires the same courses that are required for the approved Dental Assisting credential, along with courses required to complete the A.A.S. in Health Sciences. Other appropriate degrees may be identified in the future. However, this would require Board approval.