Proposed Academic Program Inventory Title:
A.A.S. Degree in Ophthalmic Technician
CIP Code: 51.1803
SOC Code/s: 31-9092
The Ophthalmic Technician Program is designed to prepare the student to act as an entry-level ophthalmic technician. Duties of the ophthalmic technician generally include, but are not limited to: general work-up of the patient in preparation for examination by the physician, diagnostic testing, refractometry, knowledge of contact lenses, caring for and maintaining ophthalmic instruments, and assisting the doctor in the setup and performance of minor ophthalmic surgery.
- Graduates will utilize and apply their knowledge of ophthalmic technology to solve problems in a clinical setting.
- Graduates of the program will assume positions as entry-level technicians in a variety of eye-care settings.
- Graduates will perform ophthalmic skills at the technician level with competency and safety as defined by national certification and accreditation standards set forth by JCAHPO and ICA.
- Graduates of the program will be able to perform patient testing and demonstrate proper documentation in the patient record.
- Graduates will demonstrate proficiency with the terminology and abbreviations used within the field of ophthalmic technology.
- Graduates will demonstrate and apply their knowledge of the rules and regulations of the boards and agencies involved in the field of ophthalmic technology.
Professional Accrediting Body: International Council of Accreditation (ICA)
State Agency/Entity Oversight: None
Applicable Certification/License or Industry-recognized Certificates to Be Awarded: Certified Ophthalmic Technician, COT
Articulation with Tennessee Colleges of Applied Technology (TCAT): None
Students wishing to enter the Ophthalmic Program must have the following on file in the Office of Admissions and Records:
- Application to the College
- Some programs may require a VSCC medical history report
- ACT or SAT scores if under 21 years of age
- All high school transcripts or HSE scores
- Transcripts from other colleges attended
- Appropriate Placement Test results (if applicable)
- Other requested documents, records, and tests.